Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I'd Rather Be Fishin'

For those of you who don't know, I am an awesome fisher woman! I love to fish and I have been taught well by my father. Our latest fishing trip began last Saturday morning--my father and I geared up with waders, poles, lots of "Blue Fox #2 Spinners" and beef jerky for a full day of fishin'. We set out for the middle Provo river about 30 to 40 minutes from my house. It was a beautiful drive. (Notice the changing leaves on the mountain; they were vibrant shades of red and orange.)



You have to know when my dad and I fish, we ALWAYS catch fish. This day was no different. Between the two of us, we caught between 30 to 40 fish. So for those of you who don't believe me, I invite you to come and and see for yourself! I just may teach you a few things.


So the next day, my Mom and Ish came to our house (my family was in town for my grandmother's funeral--that will be a diferent post). My dad and I were so excited about how much fun we had that we had to take Josh and Ish the next day. Ish had never been fishing before in his life and Josh had never been fishng with my dad and I, so, we had to teach them the art of casting.



Practice took place at a "Maverik" convenience store at the crack of dawn. It was pretty funny to see three guys casting in the middle of a gas station!



We finally arrived to our destination. It was killing me because the best time to fish is first light when you can just barely make out the detail in the water. We got there late but it didn't matter because we still caught a lot of fish.



This picture was actually taken in a small canal where we stopped to gut the fish. It was taken for comical purposes.



Two funny stories about Josh:



1. When we first got to the river and threw in our hooks, Josh was wondering why I was already catching fish and he wasn't. Well, he failed to realize he didn't take the electrical tape off the hook my dad had put on there while we were practice casting.



2.Josh was trying really hard to cast just right and get lucky. Finally he feels a tug (gasp). He starts reeling his little heart out! "I got one. I got one! Oh my gosh it's heavy. It's gonna be huge!" Well, after several seconds of reeling I ask him if he is snagged on a rock. To his shame and disappointment he was! (I can't shame him too much for this one because I did the same thing the day before.)



Josh caught a few fish that day...


I stand proudly with my 3 pounder as Josh.... well, we just won't talk about that.

This picture we took of Josh is for self esteem purposes. (My dad actually caught this fish. Shhhh don't tell.)


You know, I always see fly fisherman in the river and it looks so fun. However, every time I am fishing near them, they never seem to catch any fish. Ishy and I were fishing in this really beautiful spot and there was a fly fisherman standing right in the middle of the pool. My dad and Josh went up a ways and I was still workin the left side of the bank. I thought I would catch up to my dad and so I started walking. My dad yelled at me for passing up good spots--I didn't want to disturb the fly guy. He was giving the dirty eye to Ish and I the whole time. Well, I did see this one spot I HAD to try. I just knew there was a fish there. Well sure enough, there was and it was a big one. They fly guy looked mad and a few minutes later he packed up and left. He must have been fishing that spot for at least a half hour then I come along and steel his fish. On top of that, my dad and Josh were catching them like crazy up a head.


Moral of the story: Don't fly fish... Fish with us :)

This is Ishy praising Allah for his great blessings--and what was soon to be our bountiful feast of fish taco's!



Ish also caught a few fish that day (though not as much as he wants everyone to believe from the picture). He had a wonderful time and can't wait to go again.



This is always my least favorite part. Good thing my dad doesn't mind. This is my dad gutting a small portion of fish we caught. Notice to the right all the beautiful fish!



Eew gross! Fish eggs. Ishy found this fascinating.


Let's just say we had an awesome weekend.



Thanks to my dad and his master fishing technique we were able to catch 40 fish that day between all of us. Also, a big "Thank You" to my mom who stayed home with the kids so we could have a day out kid free!

2 comments:

Jami Edwards said...

Hey Sabrina! I had sooo much fun catching up with you today. I loved reading all of your posts. I would have to agree i think lilly is beautiful:) Keep in touch , I already miss my lunch buddy. Tell josh and vincent "hello" Jami

Allyson & Jere said...

Umm, EWWW! I can't believe you love to fish, that just cracks me up and disturbs me at the same time. But, good for you. I fished once, my dad forced me to hold the fish i caught and I've never recovered from the experience. They're slimy and stinky and altogether disturbing. haha You're just full of surprises Miss Bodine.