Monday, December 15, 2008

I'm Freezin' My Fishy Fingers Off!

My dad came to visit October 23rd thru the 27th. I called him and said,"Dad, the weather is going to be clear this weekend. Get up here so we can fish!" And so he did:)

We were on a "Fishin Mission" and no one was getting in our way. We went fishing everyday that he was here (morning and night). A BIG "Thanks" to my neighbor who watched the kids for me. She is the bomb!

Some of you may ask...Why is the title to this blog "I'm freezing my Fishy Fingers off!"
I"ll tell you...
Because we woke up at the butt crack of dawn and I mean before the sun came up so that we were ON the river at the crack of dawn. It was 30 degrees for the high that day which means it was a lot colder than that in the morning. As I was casting, I noticed that the line just didn't feel right. I told my dad what was going on and he asked me if I looked at my rod. When I did, there was ICE in the little circles on my rod. It was crazy.
First morning was a major success! This is a picture of the fish we KEPT that day. We caught a ton. After fishing that morning, my dad got inspired to make pies from the apples on our tree in the back yard.
Grandapa and Vincent watching a movie and peeling apples.
Dad slaving away at his homemade pie crust. He's a pro!
This is one of 3 pies my dad made not to mention he also made apple dumplings. YUM! We passed the pies out to my neighbors. They loved it.

Day two and three were a success as well. We caught a lot of big fish. This was one of many and might I bring to your attention the fish is as long as my dad is wide:)
This is a picture of me standing in the middle of stream. Yes it was freezing cold and my toes were numb but that is the price you pay!

This is my dad reeling in a fish. "Here Fishy Fishy."
This is poor Josh reeling in the biggest fish of the day and right when he reached for it, it snapped off the line. We were especailly sad for Josh because this was his only catch of the day. Poor josh:( Josh only got to go with us once on the weekend because he had to work).
Another beauty.
We had many beautiful mornings infact, one day we saw deer drinking from the river just 50 feet in front of us. I love to see animals in the wild.

Of course a weekend with Grandpa wouldn't be complete without a little magic...

First step is to go out and gather pixie dust that falls from the stars.


Then grandpa churns it in his fist really good...


Third step is to let grandpa put his hand over your ear...

Or your belly button (we did this twice)...


Then you jump up and down really fast and POOF...


M&M's all over the place:)


This makes for a really happy Vincent.

Magic with grandpa is the best! I remember doing this when I was a kid. My dad would make the M&M's fall from the sky. It always got me going, trying to figure out how he did it. That is just one example of the many fun things we used to do with my dad.

Thanks for coming up to take me fishing dad!

Vincent thanks you for coming too and can't wait to go fishin' with you someday. For now, he will just be happy with some more M&M's.

2 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

This "fishing" side of you just slays me. How could I have never known you were a freak for fishing? Looks like you had a grand time. By the way, loving your "glee" for all things white and snowy. Sounds like you're having the best time ever!@@

Shea said...

Your dad is the coolest. Who's dad can fish, bake, and do magic tricks?!

That's awesome!